Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Storytime Programs - Fall I, 2016 - Week Three

Welcome to the third week of Fall I storytime programs.  In addition to our weekly storytimes, there are numerous special events happening so be sure to check our Events Calendar http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information.  We hope that you'll be joining us.   Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)

Books
One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Yoon Click here to find the book in the catalog.
Knock At The Door by Kemp Click here to find the book in the catalog.

Action Rhyme: Diddle Dumpling (Tap knees or clap hands)
Diddle diddle dumpling, my son, John,
Went to bed with his trousers on.
One shoe off and one shoe on,
Diddle diddle dumpling, my son, John.

Traditional rhymes and songs such as this one often contain vocabulary that you wouldn't hear day to day.  But that's fine though - children need to hear vocabulary in many different contexts.

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)

Books
Sheep Go To Sleep by Shaw Click here to find the book in the catalog.
Goodnight, Goodnight, Sleepyhead by Krauss Click here to find the book in the catalog.

Action RhymeMy Blanket
I once had a blanket, it was fluffy and new,
I once had a blanket, and its color was blue.
I once had a blanket, the prettiest I’ve seen,
I once had a blanket, and its color was green.
I once had a blanket, as soft as a pillow,
I once had a blanket, and its color was yellow.
I once had a blanket, at the foot of my bed,
I once had a blanket, and its color was red.

When you get your toddler dressed each day talk about the colors of his clothes.  What color are his pants?  Does his shirt have stripes, spots, or a picture perhaps?  

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Harry Hungry by Salerno Click here to find the book in the catalog.
The Watermelon Seed by Pizzoli Click here to find the book in the catalog.

Action Rhyme: Bananas Unite!
Peel bananas, peel, peel bananas.
Chop bananas, chop, chop bananas.
Mash bananas, mash, mash bananas.
Eat bananas, eat, eat bananas.
Go bananas, go, go bananas.

Does your toddler love to eat bananas?  When you see them at the store or in your house, ask your child some questions about them. What color are they? - on the outside, and on the inside?  Are they hard or soft?  Yummy?     

1, 2, 3, Go!  (For children 1-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Lola Loves Stories by McQuinn Click here to find the book in the catalog.
We Are In A Book! by Willems Click here to find the book in the catalog.

Action Rhyme: These Are My Glasses
These are my glasses,
This is my book,
I put on my glasses and open up the book.
Now I read, read, read and I look, look, look.
I put down my glasses and
Whoop! Close up the book.
 
Make books readily available to your toddler if you haven't already! Include sturdy books in toy boxes, on low shelves or tables, pack one in a diaper bag to read at the doctor's office or whenever you might need a distraction.  And of course make reading together part of your daily routine!  

StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books
You're All My Favorites by McBratney Click here to find the book in the catalog.
Tin by Judge Click here to find the book in the catalog.
What Brothers Do Best by Numeroff Click here to find the book in the catalog.

Action Rhyme: I Have A Brother
I have a brother who lives with me,
We play together happily.
We ride our bikes and throw a ball,
In winter, summer, spring and fall.

Ask your preschooler what he likes to do with his sibling, mom, dad or other special friend.  What do they like to do together inside and outside?  What about when the weather is warm, or cold?                 














No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!