Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February 1st,   2014 Blog
Winter Session, Week 4
Welcome to the Winter 2014 Session of our Ready, Set Read! Blog, Week 4.  We have lots of things to share from our different programs for you to try with your little ones at home.  Make sure to also stop by our “Ready, Set, Read!” Station in the Early Learning Center in which you and your child can listen and read a story together and complete a fun activity! 
Here is a link for parents to use at home as well as extensions to reading readiness activities.  It comes from our Readership Program which is an outreach program to our local preschools!  Hope you enjoy the activities!



Baby Rhyme Time!
This week we focused on colors.  We read Rainbow Colors Peekaboo! by Sirett, D. and Color-By-Penguins by Heck E.


Here are some songs that we used in our program for you to use at home… 


Rhyme: The Color Rhyme

Red, red, red, touch your head.
Blue, blue, blue, tap your shoe.
Brown, brown, brown, touch the ground.
White, white, white, lean to the right.
Black, black, black, touch your back.
Purple, purple, purple, draw a circle.
Gray, gray, gray, clap hurray!

Rhyme: Colorful Mittens

One red mitten, what'll I do?
One red mitten, what'll I do?
One red mitten, what'll I do?
I'll find the other one - now there are two!

Extend our Color by pointing our colors to your baby on the different items she plays with! 


Wonderful Ones
This week we are learning parts of our body!  Some books that go with our theme for you to read with your little one are: I See by Isadora, R. and My Five Senses by Miller, M.

Here are some songs that we used in our program for you to use at home… 
Rhyme: Here Are My Ears
Here are my ears, here is my nose,
Here are my fingers, here are my toes.
Here are my eyes both open wide,
Here is my mouth with white teeth inside.
Here is my tongue that helps me to speak.
Here is my chin,
Here are my cheeks.
Here are my hands that help me to play,
Here are my feet for walking all day.

Rhyme: If You Have

If you have a nose and you know it, touch it now.

If you have a nose and you know it, touch it now.

If you have a nose and you know it, then it should be on your face.

If you have a nose and you know it, touch it now.

(Continue with Ears and Mouth)

  

Continue the clean fun at home by checking out Carole Peterson’s song “Clap, Clap, Clap Your Hands on her Sticky Bubblegum CD!  A fun way to use and learn our parts of our body! 

 

Terrific Twos!


This week is about Counting with Puppies!  We are on the number 4.  Here are some books to read to with your child that goes along with our theme: 4 Black Puppies by Grindley and Here Comes Poppy and Max by Gardiner.

Here are some songs and rhymes we used in our program this week….

Rhyme: 
I like to pat my puppy (make puppy with one fist, pat)
He has such nice soft fur (pet puppy)
He may bark  - woof woof woof woof
But you will never hear him "purr”

Rhyme: 
My little puppy’s name is Rags
He eats so much that his tummy sags
His ears flip-flop and his tail wig-wags
And when he walks his hips zig-zag
Flip-flop wiggle-wag, zig-zag
Flip-flop wiggle-wag, zig-zag

To extend our theme at home, play act Puppies with your child!  They love this pretend game.  Encourage them to act like dogs would.  If they don’t know, show them! 


Story Mix for 3-6
We are talking about Transportation!  This week it’s about Airplanes!  A couple of books we read are: Hugo the Flying Firefighter by Broekstra and Miss Mouse Takes Off by Jan Ormerod. 

Rhyme:
We are flying, we are flying             We are flying, we are flying
Up so high, up so high                  Round and round, round and  
                                                      round
See the fluffy white cloud,             See the tiny houses,         
See the sparkly sunshine              See the tiny people             
In the sky,  in the sky                   On the ground, on the ground
           By: Elizabeth Scofield    tune: Frere Jacques


Rhyme:

To extend our Airplane theme at home, pretend to fly an airplane!  Ask: “Where are we going?  Who is on the flight?”.  The more questions to get your preschooler thinking, the better!  It’ll get his imagination revved up as well as the thinking process of how an airplane might work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!