Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January 27th  2014 Blog
Winter Session, Week 3


Welcome to the Winter 2014 Session of our Ready, Set Read! Blog, Week 3.  We have lots of things to share from our different programs for you to try with your little ones at home.  Make sure to also stop by our “Ready, Set, Read!” Station in the Early Learning Center in which you and your child can listen and read a story together and complete a fun activity!  This week’s book is Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathon London .  If you happen to miss a book/activity and still want to enjoy them they go over to our Rakow Branch for two weeks after our time with it is done.

We also have some fun activities coming up at GBPL!  Our annual Family Valentine Tea is coming up on Saturday February 8th at 9:30am or 11:00 am.  Make sure to register in person at the Registration Desk or at 847-429-4597.

  Enjoy!

Baby Rhyme Time!
This week we are talking about Parts of our bodies.  We read Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes by Annie Kubler and Eyes & Nose, Fingers & Toes - Sesame Beginnings.

Here are some songs that we used in our program for you to use at home… 


Rhyme: Say Hello To Your Toes
Say hello to your toes,
Hello, toes.
Hello, toes.
Say hello to your toes,
Hello toes! (Fingers, Tummy)

Rhyme: Where, Oh Where Are Baby's Fingers?

Where, oh where are baby’s fingers?
Where, oh where are baby’s toes?
Where’s the baby’s belly button?
‘Round and round it goes.
 


Extend some of these activities by playing body part games with your baby.  Point to the body part and give a tickle to make it fun!  Check out the book Toes Ears and Nose by Marion Bauer for more body part fun!


Wonderful Ones
This week we are Keeping Healthy by imitating washing up and tooth brushing.    Some books that go with our theme for you to read with your little one are: Brush, Brush, Brush! by Alicia Padron and Dive In, Ducky! By Annie Kubler.


Here are some songs that we used in our program for you to use at home… 

Rhyme: Toothpaste Trouble
I can use the washcloth,
To scrub, scrub, scrub.
I can use the soap,
But when I use the toothpaste,
I give up all hope.
I get toothpaste on my cheek,
Toothpaste on my nose,
Toothpaste on my ear,
Toothpaste on my hair,
Toothpaste on my tummy,
Toothpaste on my knee,
And in lots of other places
That toothpaste shouldn’t be!

Rhyme: Bath Time

After a bath, I try, try, try,

To rub myself dry, dry, dry.

Hands to dry, fingers and toes,

Two wet legs and a shiny nose.

Just think how much less time it would take,

If I were a dog and could

Shake, shake, shake.

Continue the clean fun at home by checking out Raffi’s “Brush your Teeth” song on his CD Singable Songs for the Very Young.  A fun reenactment of this skill. 

 

Terrific Twos!

This week is about Counting with Kittens!  We are on the number 3.  Here are some books to read to with your child that goes along with our theme: 3 Kittens by Mirra Ginsburg and Come here Cleo by Caroline Mockford.

Here are some songs and rhymes we used in our program this week….

Rhyme: 
My kitten was hiding under my chair
I looked and I looked for her everywhere
Under the table and under the bed
I looked in the corner but when I said
Come, kitty, come, kitty, here’s milk for you
My kitten came running, calling mew mew mew

Rhyme: 
1 little, 2 little, 3 little kittens (hold up 3 fingers)
Were napping in the sun (bend fingers down)
1 little, 2 little, 3 little puppies said (hold up 3 fingers of other hand)
“Come let us all have fun!” 
Up to the kittens the puppies went creeping (move puppy fingers toward kitten fingers)
As quiet as quiet could be
1 little, 2 little, 3 little kittens
Went scampering up a tall tree (move kitten fingers into the air)

To extend our theme at home, play act Cats and Kittens with your child!  They love this pretend game.  Encourage them to act like cats would.  If they don’t know, show them!  A great book to read together is The Little Kitten by Judy Dunn.  It gives a look into what kittens do in photos. 

1, 2, 3, Go!
This week we are talking about Going to the Dentist!  We read the following during our story time: Max Goes to the Dentist by Adria F Klein and Brush Your Teeth, Max and Millie by Felicity Brooks.

Rhyme: My Friend, The Dentist (Tune: Frere Jacques)
My friend, the dentist,
Always tells me,
Brush your teeth,
Brush your teeth.
Brush them in the morning,
And again at bedtime.
Brush your teeth,
Brush your teeth.

To extend our Dentist theme at home, talk about how important it is to brush our teeth.  Count teeth together or even toothbrushes in your bathroom.  Move right to left to help reinforce pre-reading skills! 

Story Mix for 3-6
We are talking about Transportation!  This week it’s about Trucks!  A couple of books we read are: Downhill Fun by Michael Dahl and I Drive A Snowplow by Sarah Bridges.

Rhyme:
I’m a windshield wiper (bend arm at elbow and hold fingers up)
This is how I go (swing arm back and forth)
Back and forth, back and forth (continue motion)
In the rain and snow      

Rhyme: “Where Are Trucks?” (Tune: Where Is Thumbkin?)
Where is pick-up truck? Where is pick-up truck?
Here I am. Here I am.
How are you today, sir? Very well, I thank you.
Drive away. Drive away.
(Tow truck, dump truck, garbage truck, fire truck)


To extend our Truck theme at home, check out the book My Big Truck Book by Roger Priddy.  It’s a great book to learn about many different types of trucks and their jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!