Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Storytime Programs - Winter, 2016 - Week Eight

Welcome to the final week of winter storytime programs.  In addition to our weekly storytimes, there are numerous special events happening so be sure to check our Events Calendar http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information.  We hope that you'll be joining us.   Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)


Books

Toes, Ears, & Nose! - Bauer
Busy Toes - Bowie

Rhyme: I Can Make My Baby Smile (Tune: The Muffin Man)
I can make my baby smile,
My baby smile, my baby smile.
I can make my baby smile,
When I tickle his toes.
(Tummy/Nose)

Songs and rhymes about body parts allow children to begin to develop their sense of self and make associations between words and parts of their body.  Storytime Magic by MacMillan & Kirker

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)


Books

Under My Hood I Have a Hat - Kuskin 
Millions of Snowflakes - Siddals


Action Rhyme: Snow Is Falling Down 
Snow is falling down, shhhh,
Falling to the ground, shhhh.
Slowly, slowly, very slowly,
Snow is falling down, shhhh.

Repeat this rhyme at home with your toddler.   Make it even more fun by substituting your child's name for the word "snow" as you fall to the ground slowly.  

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

Books


Snow Dog, Go Dog - Heiligman 
Oh! - Henkes


Action Rhyme: After a Bath
After a bath, I try, try, try,
To wipe myself till I'm dry, dry, dry.
Hands to wipe, and fingers and toes,
And two wet legs and a shiny nose.
Just think how much less time it'd take,
If I were a dog, and could shake, shake, shake!

We read and sang about dogs this week.  Look at pictures of dogs with your toddler and have a conversation about them.  Count their legs, find their tail.  Are their ears big or little?  

1, 2, Go!  (For children 1-3 years and a caregiver)

Books


Sam Who Never Forgets - Rice 
I Love My Mama - Kavanagh
I Dream of an Elephant - Rubinger (Shown as a flannel)

Action Rhyme: Elephant
An elephant goes like this and that (stomp feet)
He's terribly big (raise arms over head)
And terribly fat (stretch arms to sides)
He has no fingers (wiggle fingers)
He has no toes (wiggle feet)
But goodness gracious, what a nose! (make trunk with arm)

All the children love to sing and dance!  If you'd love to watch We're Going to the Zoo again, click on the video below:




StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books


The Ugly Duckling - Ziefert
Lucky Duckling - Moore
Goodnight, My Ducklings - Tafuri

Action Rhyme: Ten Eggs
Five eggs and five eggs,
That makes ten.
Sitting on top is a mother hen.
Crackle, crackle, crackle, (clap 3 times)
What do I see?
Ten fluffy chicks,
As yellow as can be.

This rhyme is a great introduction to addition activities with your preschooler.  Find other things to add together - toy cars, shoes, cheerios...

Family Jam (For families with young children)

Book

Polar Bear's Underwear - Tupera
Polar Opposites - Brooks
Hush Little Bear - Mack 


Action Rhyme: Here Comes Polar Bear (Tune: London Bridge)
Here comes polar bear,
Stomp, stomp, stomp,
Stomp, stomp, stomp,
Stomp, stomp, stomp,
Here comes polar bear,
Stomp, stomp, stomp,
Stomp, stomp, polar bear.

Here comes baby bear,
Tip, tap, tip,
Tip, tap, tip,
Tip, tap, tip.
Here comes baby bear,
Tip, tap, tip,
Tip, tap, baby bear.

We all watched a fun, fact-filled YouTube video from National Geographic Kids.  If you'd love to watch it again, click on the video below:







No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!