Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Story Mix for Three to Six: Penguins

We are having some wintertime fun at Story Mix!  Our winter theme this week is penguins.  To become skilled readers, children need rich language and broad vocabulary to understand messages conveyed in print.  Word knowledge can be developed through exposure to new words, such as 'snowflake' or 'penguin'.  Creative playtime included in the dress up rhyme helps children use those new words in their everyday speech. The more language experiences children have, the more words they learn. 


Snowflakes, Snowflakes Song
Snowflakes, snowflakes, dance around
Snowflakes, snowflakes, touch the ground
Snowflakes, snowflakes, on my nose
Snowflakes, snowflakes, on my toes
Snowflakes, snowflakes, twirl around
Snowflakes, snowflakes, touch the ground

Penguins Dress Up Rhyme
Penguins dressed up black and white
Really make a fancy sight
Sometimes I get dressed up too
I wear a __________ and look like new!  Use different items to dress up and fill in the blank

Penguins In the Snow Rhyme (sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot")
I’m a little penguin in the snow
I slide on my tummy to and fro
I eat fish from the deep blue sea
I’m black and white, just look at me

For more Penguin fun, check out these books we read at Story Mix this week:

Turtle’s Penguin Day by Valeri Gorbachev
After hearing a bedtime story about penguins, Turtle dresses as a penguin for school and soon the entire class is having a penguin day.
Check catalog availability

Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
Tacky the penguin does not fit in with his sleek and graceful companions, but his odd behavior comes in handy when hunters come with maps and traps. 
Check catalog availability

If You Were a Penguin by Wendell and Florence Minor
Pictures and rhyming text present some of the many extraordinary things penguins can do. Includes facts about penguins as well as related websites. 
Check catalog availability

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!