Monday, September 26, 2011

Story Mix for Three to Six: Playtime!

Children love to move their feet especially by active play!  This week's Story Mix offers ideas for children to embrace playtime!  The interactive foot movements in the rhymes below help children to think symbolically by connecting the motions with the words.  As children hear the spoken words, they begin to understand the meaning of the word through the playful movements.  Hopping, stamping and marching to rhythms allows children to hear syllables and also improves motor skills.   Introducing new words and sounds, together with the play, helps children learn new vocabulary and enhances comprehension. 


Helping's Fun Song
When I come in from outdoor play
I take my shoes off right away
I set them by the door just so
Then off my hat and jacket go
I hang them up when I am through
And put away the toys I’ve used
I’m a helper, don’t you see?
Helping’s fun, as fun can be

My Two Feet Rhyme
Watch my feet, they’re coming to play
My two feet are hopping today
Watch my feet, they’re coming to play
My two feet are tiptoeing today
Watch my feet, they’re coming to play
My two feet are stamping today
Watch my feet, they’re coming to play
My two feet are marching today
Watch my feet, they’re coming to play
My two feet are sitting today

For more playtime themed fun, check out these stories we read at this week's class:

Chicken Chickens by Valeri Gorbachev
On their first visit to a playground, two little chickens are afraid to play until a beaver helps them go down the slide.
Check catalog availability 

What Shall We Do When We All Go Out? by Shari Halpern
Words and illustrations depict the activities of the day as children go out to play.
Check catalog availability

The Line Up Book by Marisabina Russo
Sam lines up blocks, books, boots, cars, and other objects, all the way from his room to his mother in the kitchen.
Check catalog availability

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!