Thursday, April 21, 2016

Storytime Programs - Spring 2016, Week Six

Welcome to the sixth week of spring storytime programs.  In addition to our weekly storytimes, there are numerous special events happening so be sure to check our Events Calendar http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information.  We hope that you'll be joining us.   Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)

Books
Baby Loves Visiting by Lawrence
Play Baby Play! by Janovitz

Action Rhyme: I Am (Tune: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star)
I am kicking my little feet,
I am keeping quite a beat.
I am stretching my arms high,
I am reaching up to the sky.
I am patting my little tum,
I am playing on my drum.

When you add body movements, such as stretching, reaching and kicking, to rhymes, you reinforce your baby's understanding of concepts.  

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)

Books
Goodnight Engines by Mortensen
Red Light, Green Light by Suen

Action Rhyme: The Wheels on the Bus
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round, round and round,
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
All through the town.
The wipers on the bus go swish swish ...
The horn on the bus goes beep beep ...
The babies on the bus go wah wah ...

If your toddler has toy vehicles, line them up and talk about them. Can you count them?  What color are they? Find the wheels.

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
One Little Blueberry by Salzano
Beetle Bop by Fleming

Action Rhyme: I'm a Little Beetle
I'm a little beetle,
And I wiggle all day.
If you get too close to me,
I'll fly away.

Act out this beetle rhyme with your toddler.  Show your child bugs and creepy crawlies while outside!  What words can you use to describe them?

1, 2, Go!  (For children 1-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Hooray For Spring! by Hubbell
I'm a Hop Hop Hoppity Frog by Northey

Action: Rhyme: Croak Said The Frog
Croak said the frog (make croaking sound)
With his golden eyes (fists up to eyes)
Sitting on a lily pad (crouch down)
Catching flies (grab air with hand)
I have a sticky tongue (stick out tongue)
It's as fast as can be...
And I catch mosquitoes (grab air with hand)
1, 2, 3! (count on fingers)

Repeat this rhyme at home with your toddler.  How high can you and your toddler count?

StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books
No, No, Titus! by Masurel
Fluffy and Baron by Rankin
Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie by Jordan

Action Rhyme: Five Little Puppies
Five little puppies were playing in the sun
This one saw a rabbit, and he began to run
This one saw a butterfly, and he began to race
This one saw a cat, and he began to chase
This one tried to catch his tail, and he went round and round
This one was so quiet, he never made a sound

Ask your preschooler to draw a picture of a real or imaginary dog.  Tell him how to spell the word "dog" and help him write it on his piece of paper.

Family Jam (For families with young children)

Books
The Five Senses: Taste by Ruis
Lunch by Fleming (presented as a prop story)
Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana by Dean

Action Rhyme: Jumping Beans (Jump or bounce)
One, two, three, four
Beans came jumping through the door
Five, six, seven, eight
Jumping right on to my plate!

We sang along to a funny song about broccoli flavored ice cream!  If you'd like to listen to it again, click on the link below.




Repeat the Jumping Beans rhyme again at home.  Count how many times you can jump.  Who can jump the most times?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!